In our office, we often put people, adults, and children, on a gluten free and grain free diets. One question we get asked a lot is how to still have delicious foods while trying to avoid these things. Luckily, there are a lot of amazing recipes out there, and I am testing them out for you at my house. We try to eat gluten-free and low grain all of the time at home. I’m always looking for ways to make old favorites more healthy. I LOOOOOOOVE brownies, but gluten does not love me. I set out to find a great gluten-free and paleo recipe, so I can enjoy my old friend's brownies and not regret it later when evil gluten catches up with me. So I looked around, combined a couple of recipes, did a few substitutions, and voila! DELICIOUS, healthy, and nutritious brownies. My kids loved them too so I know this recipe is a winner. For real, try them.
Butternut squash puree instructions
- Dark chocolate chips - 1 cup I used organic 71% cocoa dark chocolate chips (keeps that sugar low!!)
- Coconut oil - 1/2 cup plus one tablespoon
- Pure vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- Eggs - 3
- Butternut squash puree - 3/4 cup
- Honey or maple syrup - 3 tablespoons- use what you have on hand or which flavor you prefer
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coconut flour - 1/4 cup
- Tapioca flour - 1/4 cup (if you want to up the protein use blanched almond flour but if you are like me and sensitive to nuts tapioca is a perfect flour to use)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the butternut squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds
- Rub the squash with the one tablespoon of coconut oil
- Bake cut side up for 1 hour or until soft
- Scoop the butternut squash into a food processor and blend into a puree. If the puree is too thick and coconut milk or other milk and puree add milk incrementally until desired consistency is achieved. Should be thick but easy to stir into other ingredients.
We hope you and your family enjoy this recipe and if you need help don't hesitate to contact us.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease 8 inches by 8-inch glass baking dish.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate with coconut oil and vanilla. Remove from heat.
- Whisk the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Scoop into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- Optional: fold in some extra whole chocolate chips before baking to up the fudginess of these brownies
Thank you for contacting Pro-Holistic Care! We will get back to you as soon as possible with an appointment time.
If you would like immediate assistance please call 773-279-9344.
We are looking forward to talk to you, in the meanwhile you can read more about our services HERE!
Happy. Healthy. Fun.